Skip to main content

The Churning Ocean of Knowledge



Yesterday while I was speaking with my wife, she suddenly brought up the story of how lord Shiva so selflessly swallowed the poison, that was about to cover our world, as the Devas formed an alliance with the Asuras to jointly churn the ocean for the nectar of immortality!

At first I felt confused as to how these two groups could ever agree to form an ‘alliance’. How in the holy heavens could so distinct goals and principles join hands to churn the ocean together! But then I got back to my earthly senses and, being born a christian, I got the point of the search for the ‘Holy Grail’!

Ever since man walked on earth, Knowledge must have been the Holy Grail of the common man. The knowledge of fire and then the wheel are what catapulted the human race ahead. And then we slowly unfolded a way to share this knowledge through education. The nectar that was supposed to free us from all social evils and lead to a newer and better quality of life not only for the beholder but the generations to follow as well.

I believe I am one of those fortunate few whose education formed the foundation on which the lessons of my life could be assembled. And the search for ‘My Holy Grail’, has always been a culmination of this education and learning.

Unfortunately, as I look around today, I see our younger generations spend over two decades of their initial journey in search of the Holy Grail of knowledge. At the end of which most of them are struck with one common thought. “Did I really get what I was supposed to gain? Did this education give me what would take me through my life ahead!” And the sad answer in a vast majority of cases, with due respect to the effort, money and time spent, is often a big loud “No”!

I’ve heard of the old times where one was sure to be in a job as soon as he completed his higher education. It seems an astounding feat, because I live in a world where children with professional degrees to their names are jobless and many even labeled as unemployable.

The story of the past is that the knowledge of fire and then, that of the wheel, torpedoed the human race to the next higher level of existence. The sad part of my present is a system where education and learning are slowly moving against each other. Knowingly or unknowingly, we got so obsessed with reinventing the wheel that we slowly forgot the very essence of why the wheel exists in the first place!

I remember the time that I was made to spend, standing on my class desk, from where I saw a very new perspective of how my everyday class looked like from another very different angle! My friends teasing me, somehow made me feel stronger and more ready to face the future failures that awaited. I remember scoring extremely low in some subjects. And then, crying in my pillows. Yet, I would hit back with the vigour of a warrior and walk down my school corridor with my head held high in pride for every single mark I strongly fought for and earned.

Through this fading memory of mine, I see a present generation of kids ready to jump from the top of their school buildings at the smallest provocation in life and teachers working out all possibilities to give free marks to one and all. Failures are being treated with extreme egos and trivial things lead to anger, anxiety and depression.

It is disturbing that all this is happening as the number of child friendly commissions and other government initiatives are on the rise. Even more saddening is the Government’s thrust to the promotion of certain kind of institutions (in the state) and the steady investment in demoting certain others who have worked hard over the past years to get Kerala to its present enviable position in this sector.

And as the various Devas and Asuras shamelessly join hands to churn out the essence of what we call our education system, all I can do is but wait for a new lord Shiva. One who would be as selfless as the old and take in this poison that is engulfing our future!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Tale of Two Syllabus - Dasan and Vijayan

The Beginning   The biggest casualty of the Pandemic was the education sector, especially the K-12 schools and its children. What we saw in the initial days was localised fire fighting based on the logic and knowledge of individual educators. Even over a year down the line, the fact remains that we are still left with no standardised guidelines that could practically be followed by all schools.    As the health workers took the spotlight, fighting a collective battle mostly following standardised procedures to protect people from the virus, the academicians were left in the dark to fight a lonely battle to protect their children from learning gaps, anxiety and mental distress.    Governments across the world did their PR stunts in all possible ways to stay connected with its people in distress. Most IT firms, health equipment manufacturers and distributors were looking ahead to create a fortune in the new world order. In all this chaos, the only ones who did not really figure u

Time to ‘Stan’d!

The Prelude Once upon a time... on a fine day in January 1818, the British East India Company and the Peshwa faction of the Maratha Confederacy fought a battle that would later come to be known as “The Battle of Koregaon” (a.k.a the Battle of Koregaon Bhima). As they fought for nearly 12 long hours, till the Peshwa's troops ultimately withdrew, Captain Francis ‘Staunton’, who led the Company troop in defending their position, didn’t have the faintest clue, that 200 years later, another man sharing the same letters of his surname, will stand murdered in the name of events that would be weaved out from this very battlefield – The Bhima Koregaon! Back in time Once upon another time... in a place called Jharkhand, there lived a man who documented the monstrous profits made by big corporations, and the price that poor people dependent on the land and forests had to pay for this to happen! He spoke of the manner in which land was acquired at dirt prices for power plants, and ho

'MOVE 37' - Intelligence goes Artificial

In 2016, Lee  Sedol , the world champion of the Asian board game ‘Go’ , took on ‘ AlphaGo ’ - the  machine program that mimicked the neural networks of the human brain. ‘Go’ is believed to be invented in China more than 2,500 years ago and is one of the oldest board games continuously played till date and with  over 46  million  worldwide players  in the present day. ‘ AlphaGo ’ was designed as an Artificial Intelligence (AI) program to showcase to the world what is called ‘Deep Learning’.  AlphaGo  was fed with instructions of the game and also with an abundance of data on all kind of moves made by players in the game. The machine studies these moves and then comes up with its own creative moves. So, the program is not really following the instructions or code that you gave it, but is creating its own new codes based on what it keeps learning. What happened next is something that made the world stand up and take notice. In Game 2 - Move 37, the machine came up with a very surprising m